Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Soy Chicken Drumsticks Bento

Shoyu chicken was my absolute favorite dish as a child. I always requested it if my mom ever asked. This version is one I've posted before, and it's a Vietnamese style using fish sauce and coconut water. It has a different, less sweet flavor that I really crave, and when you make it in the slow-cooker you can enjoy the aroma for hours while you dash in and out of the house between kid chauffeuring duties. We are now cutting out soy due to allergies, so I had to adapt the recipe further (substituting with coconut aminos), but as MisterMan says, "It still tastes almost the same, like you know what it's supposed to be." Well, good! I guess. Kids (my kids, anyway) really like shoyu chicken, and I served this one over rice in the bento (out of view), and all the rice got devoured. Something about chicken & rice. The rest of the round box contains: Okinawan sweet potato flower shapes, steamed broccoli, carrots, pluots and golden watermelon. I didn't mean to buy a golden one, but it wasn't labeled as such. There's something weird about a yellow watermelon, though it tasted just like the red kind. I topped with a radish cut like an apple, with sesame seed detail. Simple!

8 comments:

  1. I love soy sauce so much, can't imagine without it. I am so glad you found the substitute. What is the reaction? my oldest son has a very severe peanut allergy but thanks God he's okay with soy. Beautiful bento as always!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure, but she tested positive in the IgE blood test. It's a moderate allergy which we only diagnosed recently; she'd been eating soy all her life previous to this. The substitute works fine for cooking, and I have another kind for dipping. Luckily she's okay with peanut!
      Thanks Lina :)

      Delete
  2. This one looks so bright, crisp, and clean! I love it! I agree, yellow watermelon is a little creepy, lol! It looks cool though. The other day I saw seeds for yellow cucumbers...... very tempting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I've seen the yellow cucumbers. Are they the little round ones? At least the watermelon tastes the same, if I close my eyes..
      Thanks Heather :)

      Delete
  3. Beautiful! I also love your container!

    ReplyDelete