Thursday, August 6, 2009

Gourd Bento

OK, I called this Gourd Bento because the onigiri is shaped into a gourd, on top of which I put 3 pieces of sweet potato to emphasize the shape. Can you see this? I also decorated the gourd with 3 yellow beet flowers with purple carrot centers. The main protein of the bento is roast chicken, and the onigiri, which is made from Forbidden (black) rice. Also included in the main section is a radish, purple carrot spears, and some sliced tomatoes (green zebra, red, and yellow).
The fruit section takes advantage of the summer fruits I found in the market today: ripe red strawberries, white nectarines, black grapes (underneath), Bing cherries and golden raspberries. My 6-year old also gets a small section of no-salt cottage cheese with blueberries, pumpkin seeds and wheat germ.
And a little inverted alien pal to eat with.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, it's a very great blog.
    I could tell how much efforts you've taken on it.
    Keep doing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot Olive Tree Guitar Ensemble ~ for your encouragement. I post on flickr but thought it might be fun to write more here. Hope you enjoy the pics and get ideas to use for yourself :)

    ReplyDelete